For an initial discussion around grief and loss, here are some talking points:
Some different kinds of grief –
Some different reasons for grief –
- Loss of a relationship through distance or death
- Loss of a source of meaning – an activity such as a job
- Loss of a dream – realizing that a dream for self or others will never be fulfilled
- Loss of autonomy and independence due to injury, illness or general decline
- With autonomy come/go dignity, self-esteem, self-respect, pride,
Some different expressions of grief –
- Anger – at self, others, situations, or God
- Frustration with people and circumstances
- Hopelessness and futility
- Grasping at control
- Physiological symptoms – pain, lethargy, sleeplessness, restlessness, sleepiness, increased risk of injury or illness
How do we help ourselves and others?
- Normalize grief within the community.
- Recognize the symptoms/expressions of grief.
- Recognize that grief is natural, normal, universal, and even healthy.
- Claim the right to grieve.
- Communicate the experience in safe places.
- Give others permission and space to grieve in their own ways.
- Invite others to talk and describe their own journey. Name the losses.
- Resist imposing our understandings on another’s experiences
For a pdf of this page click here: Grief and Loss Discussion